Monday, July 11, 2005

Stephen Schwartz

After hearing Illayaraja's Thiruvaasagam yesterday , I understand what Stephen Schwartz meant. This is what I had written in my previous post

Following is the letter written by Stephen Schwartz (America's topmost opera play writer). Fr.Jegath who worked closely with Illayaraja in this project "Thiruvasagam in Symphony" remembered me and has mailed me this letter. Please refer my post on Thiruvasagam by Illayaraja here.

“Last night, at sony studios in New York City, I had the pleasure of hearing the almost – finished mix of Ilaiyaraaja’s amazing work. It is unlike anything I’ve ever heard before, a stunning blend of Indian and of western music and instruments. I asked Mr. Raaja if this was something different for him too, and he said he had never done anything like this piece before. I don’t know if anyone has. So I believe those of you looking forward to this are in for a great treat. The section to which I contributed English words is about twenty minutes long and dovetails back and forth between Mr. Raaja singing in Tamil and an American singer singing in English, plus there is a large and beautifully prouced chorus. Mr. Raaja’s orchestrations are superb, and the recording engineer, Richard King, has done a spectacular job sonically. I felt so very proud to be a small part of this project. The entire project for me has been an enjoyable and fascinating experience from beginning to end, and I feel extremely lucky to have been asked by Mr. Raaja to participate. I can promise you with confidence you are in for a major treat when you hear Thiruvasakam in Symphony”.

- Mr. Stephen Schwartz

Remarkable ! Isnt it? Isaignani is isaignani!


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]